Motto for the moment

"Always keep a bottle of champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you’ve got a bottle of champagne in the fridge." - Hester Browne

Monday 1 October 2012

the first in a short series...about bubbles... obviously!


Gosh, sometimes I feel like I start every blog post with, “Gee, its been a while…”

I know - it’s shocking! And every time I plan to be more consistent with the posts, just like with the exercise and the awesomely healthy eating,  I seem to sneak a few weeks of silence, accompanied by chocolate cake, and little to no bodily movement! It’s positively shameful. But I hope you can relate.

Anyhoo, in the hope that anyone reading this is equally as busy as I am; I will plod along and post something anyway. Lets hope that it’s worth the wait.

I find that life is full of strange coincidences. Sometimes I am not sure whether they are actual coincidences, or just awesome thoughts that I retrospectively turn into something more exciting, hoping to validate my actions (or in this case, lack of actions). Case in point, recently, I was given a case of bubbly ranging from the standard stuff to some really special bottles – I said I would blog about the consumption of these treasures! Don’t worry, I forewarned the donor that only 5 people read my blog, and two of them were in fact in the room. She laughed (hopefully with some faith I was downplaying things) but almost certainly with regret.

In any case, as I am the least likely person in the world to turn down free bubbly, I took the case with gratitude and off I went (and walked, more briskly than usual, to my car).
So why is this a coincidence? The day prior, I was beating myself up about how I had not blogged in ages, and wondering what to talk about next? Enter, a case of bubbly for a blog with a related title. Coincidence? I hope so.

So here they are, standing to attention:
my precious - image, my own


Now, let me just say that I know more than a handful of people who often downplay JC Le Roux, because they are most familiar with the mass market sweet product Le Domaine. I too, intensely dislike the sweet kind. In fact, I always prefer Brut, what-ever the brand, whomever the maker - I try to remain open minded ;)
I decided to start off the weekend with the ones I knew – playing it safe while simultaneously holding back the big guns.
On Friday, my dearest friend Annie, joined me in popping the Brut to celebrate the end of her first round of exams. The Brut is dry, crisp and tantalising and I must add, this is often my go-to weekend celebratory beverage. It’s completely underrated and I have found, in the past, when people first see it, they are a little weary, but once the delicious bubbles hit their lips, most of the sceptics are converted.  
All in all, it was no surprise that we thoroughly enjoyed this simple yet sophisticated sipping MCC.
On Saturday I was fortunate enough to attend the most divine kitchen tea and hens party. The daytime affair was blessed with copious bottles of bubbly. So while popping home to get dressed and get a lift to Beefcakes, I opened the bottom of the dry range, Sauvignon Blanc.

I must say, it’s not my favourite, but when you are already a few bottles of bubbly down, every kind has its place. The Sauvignon Blanc is not as sophisticated as the Brut, but then again, it’s priced to move.
If you are not a big bubbly drinker, the SB would suffice – I usually get it when adding some fresh OJ for a bubbly breakfast or when there are numerous other drinks in the mix and it seems shameful to open a more precious bottle.
Speaking of which…. I am eager to try the rest the family – with the familiar members down, I cant wait see what the lesser known and rarer varieties offer. Watch this space (I promise it won’t take as long as last time)
x




1 comment:

  1. Seriously... You must tell me where to hang out to get a case of champagne gratis. You lucky girl, you.

    ReplyDelete